Welcome to the Illustrator's Toolbox, my personal collection of illustrating and art related tools, resources, and references. The things that have helped me become a better artist.
Before we move on, I must thank my sister for her many contributions to this list. An amazing artist, she did a ton of digging on her own and lead me to many of these wonderful sites. Thanks, sis!
To access the tools, resources, and references, simply scroll down to the section you are most interested in and "click" the link. Also check out my "Sites and Posts I Recommend" page, where I've posted links to some of my favorite artists sites and blogs I recommend.
As I find more things that are useful to me, I'll be adding here. So check back often!! And, as always, if you have a suggestion of an item you'd like to see included here, please let me know.
When it comes to illustrating, here are a few books that have really helped me.
- Dynamic Figure Drawing - Burne Hogarth
- How to Draw The Marvel Way - Stan Lee
- Drawing and Painting Fantasy Figures - Finlay Cowan
Color Theory and the Psychology behind Color
- Color, Contrast, & Dimension (Poynter.org) - an interactive color experience.
- Color Theory - Janet Lynn Ford
- Reading The World of Color - an article on how "color affects humans psychologically and physiologically (mind and body).
- Tutorials On Color - Color Theory, Color Schemes, and Psychology of Color
- Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud via Ted Talks - A "must watch"
- The Artist's Toolkit: Visual Elements and Principles
- Composition and the Elements of Visual Design - Robert Berdan : Photography Composition Articles
- Elements of Art - Picturing Books
- The Principles of Design - Joshua David McClurg-Genevese : Digital Web Magazine
Important Articles & Posts...